This important 18th Century George II Chippendale period concertina-action card table. Exquisite mahogany frame with hinged fold-over rectangular surface with offset square sections to the front corners, hinged top surface opens to reveal a rich deep dark green baize-lined interior card playing surface with corner candle insets and counter wells for money or counters; rectangular frieze supported on intricately carved acanthus leaf and scrolled headed cabriole legs, terminating in sculpted chippendale ball-and-claw feet, iron hinges stamped H TIBATS. The stamp H TIBATS is related to a Hinge and Sash Fastening Maker of Bell Street in Wolverhampton England in the mid 1700s. This stamp was not used after 1781. Hinges bearing this stamp are found on a significant group of furniture of the highest quality by leading makers, dating from the mid-18th century and have been recorded on a number of exceptional mahogany Concertina Action Tables. Such tables have long been prized by connoisseurs and have featured in important collections of English furniture. A pair of card tables supplied by Thomas Chippendale for the 5th Earl of Dumfries at Dumfries House, Scotland in 1759. A concertina-action card table, circa 1755-60, with quadrant hinges stamped 'H. Tibats’ is in the collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum (W.65:1-1962). (P. Thornton, 'A Signed Hinge', The Journal of the Furniture History Society, vol. II, 1966, pp. 44-45).
Place of Origin: Wolverhampton, England
Dimensions: 28.38"h, 33.875"w, 16.38"d closed or 32.75"d open
Condition: Excellent Antique Condition
Wear: Wear consistent with age and use